Thursday, August 14, 2008

Most Popular Songs on My iPod



If you asked me to name my favorite music, I'd name lots of classical & jazz songs, plus several "indie rock" bands like Spoon, The Shins and Arctic Monkeys. But is that what I REALLY listen to?

Apparently not. The list of songs I listen to most on iTunes tells a different story.

"Vienna" by Billy Joel (50 plays)
Ah, how can you not secretly (or publicly) love Billy Joel? "The Longest Time", "Uptown Girl" and "She's Got a Way" are my real favorites, but since I'm not currently in a committed relationship, "Vienna" works better for me. As an occasional perfectionist, this song remembers me to chill out.

"Rehab" by Amy Winehouse (52 plays)
I looooove Amy, but like Billy Joel's "Vienna", this isn't at all her best. But definitely the most catchy.

"Black Cadillacs" by Modest Mouse (58 plays)
OK, so this one fits my typical M.O. for music. But it still perplexes me as to why I appreciate this song so much. (I promise that it's not because they say "f***" a lot.) Mostly likely because it has a few really good lyrics:
I didn't die and I ain't complaining, I ain't blaming you
I didn't know that the words you said to me
Meant more to me than they ever could you
I didn't lie and I ain't saying I told the whole truth
I didn't know that this game we were playing
Even had a set of rules

"Flavor of the Weak" by American Hi-Fi (62 plays)
Ah, this one brings me back to my summer camp days. This song had just come out and we'd blast it in our cabin. I was eleven or so years old and my hair was so sunbleached it was white. I had poofy bangs and a crooked ponytail.

"Happy Together" by The Turtles (64 plays)
I know, this song has become cheesy, being overused in television commercials and movies. But that little build-up in the intro followed by such pure, joyous song? It's as irresistible as baby kitties. Watch the video!

"Banana Pancakes" by Jack Johnson (85 plays)
Jack Johnson is mostly just good music to study with or fall asleep to, so I probably just stuck one of his albums on repeat while engaging in one of these activities.

Other popular songs on my iTunes include "Something" by The Beatles, "Where Do You Go To My Lovely" by Peter Sarstedt, "Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5 (yes, it's pathetic) and "...Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears (yes, even more pathetic). Are there any embarrassing songs you listen to a bit too much?

No comments: